Exercise, according to a study in Psychoneuroendocrinology, is a proven stress-buster for people of all ages, and especially valuable in later years. Regular walks, bike rides, or water aerobics can do more than keep a person strong and independent; exercise can actually help block the effects of aging on cortisol levels.
Delray Community Wellness Center Fitness Programs
SilverSneakers, a national initiative, is a fun, energizing program that empowers older adults to take greater control of their health by encouraging physical activity in a positive, “upbeat”, social environment.
Designed for all adults – those who are fit and active, sedentary, intimidated, unfamiliar with exercise, as well as those in post-rehabilitation programs.
All are Welcomed and Encouraged to “Join in the Fun”!!!
- Zumba Gold – Using the Latin style of music and dance to improve balance, strength, flexibility, and most importantly the heart.
- Strength and Balance Aerobics – Offering classes that are safe, heart-healthy and gentle on the joints. Workouts, many of which are done in a chair, include easy-to-follow low-impact movement and upper-body strength, abdominal conditioning, stretching, and relaxation exercises designed to energize active lifestyles.
- Silver Sneakers Qi Gong – This exercise is an excellent form of movement for seniors because of its gentle and soothing nature. Anyone can do Qi Gong, regardless of age, ability, flexibility, or activity level! It is also significantly effective in improving balance, relieving pain, encouraging mobility, and reducing stress.
Tai Chi, a low impact martial art recommended for older adults because it relaxes the mind and the muscles, and does not require equipment. It can be done sitting or standing by people of any physical condition. Benefits include:
- Enhanced balance and flexibility
- Improved circulation, concentration, and focus
- Increased energy, reduced stress, and blood pressure
- Improved flexibility, coordination, and bone strength
Delray Community Wellness Center Beginners Walking Club – American Heart Association Walking 101
"American adults are 76 percent more likely to take a walk, if another person is counting on them"
– American Heart Association (AHA)
One of the best, easiest and inexpensive activities people can do is Go for a Walk.
Yet, there can be a few obstacles, such as knowing where to walk, or finding a group of “fellow walkers.”
Delray Community Wellness Center has started a Community Walking Club, which is free and open to all residents of Delray Beach and surrounding areas. It’s a great step toward improving anyone’s health.
The Walking Club is for beginners, individuals who stopped walking, and want to start again. It will cover walking basics, and stretches.
Members are advised to wear comfortable, properly fitted sneakers or flat shoes, with laces, and comfortable, loose-fitting clothing appropriate for the weather in Florida.
Our Walking Club serves as a built-in support system “walkers empowering walkers”, encouraging and helping fellow participants stick to their fitness routine – making exercising feel like socializing – “as your conversation flows, so goes the miles.”